Pitzhanger Manor and Gallery is a house of national significance, most notably due to it’s most famous resident architect, Sir John Soane. The manor has evolved through history, becoming first a residence, public library, then an arts and heritage venue. It is now being restored to its 18th century glory, boasting Soane’s vision of Neo-classical Grandeur. The manor and gallery are due to open to the public in summer 2018.
The earliest records of Pitzhanger date back to the 17th century in around 1664. In 1768 owner Thomas Gurnell employed architect George Dance to make designs for improvements to the house, the young John Soane, an apprentice of Dance’s worked on the designs for a two-storey extension. This was the only part of the house Soane left standing when he rebuilt it in 1800.
It was a residential home until 1902, famous residents include the daughters of the Rt. Hon Spencer Perceval, the only British Prime Minister to be assassinated. It housed the public library from 1902 – 1984, before being turned into a museum and contemporary art gallery until it closed for renovation in 2014.